- Jobs & Volunteering
- Children's Librarian
The Watertown Free Public Library is looking for a full-time Children’s Librarian. Our busy, mid-sized library serves a diverse population of people with a broad range of needs. Our children’s department is staffed by four full-time librarians that serve children from birth to 12 years along with their caregivers. In a typical week our children’s librarians can expect to lead storytimes for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers; answer a myriad of reader’s advisory and reference questions including how to use digital library media; create and deliver innovative programming for elementary aged students; develop and maintain a top-rate collection of children’s materials; and collaborate internally within the library and externally with community organizations to provide the highest standard of library service in the region.
This job might be for you if:
- You like children and you get satisfaction from helping them. You understand that different children have different needs and you can think on your feet to give each child the type of service that is best for them.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires confidence, mental agility, and tact.
- You want to work closely and collaboratively with other librarians to provide the best possible service for the children, but you are comfortable working independently when necessary.
- You are a professional risk-taker. You’re comfortable trying new ideas. You want to succeed but aren’t afraid to fail. You find the status-quo uninspired. You want to be a part of advancing children’s services in the Watertown community.
- You are curious and thoroughly informed. You ask questions and remember the answers. You use all of the information you have to make good decisions. You have a breadth of knowledge that is useful in children’s librarianship.
- You have a good grasp on children’s literature or, if you don’t, you know how to quickly get yourself up to speed on children’s literature.
- You believe in the mission of libraries. You want a job in public service.
To land this job you have to be a librarian with an MLS or equivalent experience and you must have demonstrated experience working with children. Your experience can be in a library, a bookstore, a school, etc., but you should be dedicated to providing solid, child-focused service. Working knowledge of Sierra ILS is a plus.
We welcome new graduates and seasoned librarians; it’s not necessary that you’ve worked in a public library before as long as you believe in and want to be a part of the important work that public libraries do.
View the full job description.
This is a full time (37 hours) union position. Benefits include healthcare, retirement, paid holidays, and generous sick and vacation time. The hourly rate is $29.86.
To apply please email cover letter, resume, and list of three references as one PDF attachment to Theresa Maturevich, Assistant Director at email@example.com. The job is open until filled.
The City of Watertown is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.