Substitute Children's Librarians
The Watertown Free Public Library Children’s Department is in search of one or two librarians or librarians-in-training to join our team. This position is heavy on child-focused customer service with most hours worked on the children’s public service desk offering reader’s advisory, answering phones, and assisting children and their caregivers. The children’s department is located in a discrete room on the first floor with a service desk staffed by one librarian during covid. This position is best suited to someone comfortable working independently and confident making well-informed judgment calls.
Eligible candidates will:
- Have an MLS or be enrolled in an MLS program with coursework in reference services and children’s literature completed
- Learn new hardware and software such as the Sierra ILS and MLN OPAC with ease and minimal hands-on training
- Have experience working with children in any environment (library, school, camp, etc.)
- Demonstrate a strong familiarity with and interest in children’s literature
- Have experience providing excellent customer service
We welcome library school students, new graduates, and experienced librarians for this position; it’s not necessary that you’ve worked in a public library before as long as you believe in and want to be a part of the important work that public libraries do. Previous experience working with children is required and non-negotiable.
This is an on-call position, hours are given as needed. Most shifts are scheduled 2-4 weeks in advance with occasional short notice needs. The most frequently needed shifts are Saturdays from 9-5 and Sundays from 1-5 but we also regularly need people who can work weekday mornings, afternoons, and evenings. Our current operational hours are still reduced due to covid, but we are gradually extending to pre-covid hours and expect to fully resume our normal hours by mid-summer assuming trends in Massachusetts continue in a positive direction.
Hourly Rate: $24.00
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and three references via email to Caitlin Browne, Assistant Library Director at email@example.com. Position is open until filled