How do I get started researching my house?

The best place to start is the Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System (MACRIS), a database of historic properties and areas maintained by the Massachusetts Historical Commission. You can also view digitized photographs of houses from the library’s collection, or consult resident lists, town directories, maps, and valuation reports. Beyond the library, you might continue your research at Town Hall (ask about zoning records, building permits, and assessment records) or the Registry of Deeds for Southern Middlesex County.

Show All Answers

1. How can I get assistance with my local history or genealogy research?
2. Where is the Local History Room located, and when can I visit?
3. What local history materials do you have?
4. Do you have vital records (births, deaths, and marriages) for Watertown?
5. Do you have yearbooks from Watertown High School?
6. What are some of the highlights of your collection?
7. How do I get started researching my house?
8. How do I get started researching my family history?
9. Do you accept donations of local history materials?
10. Where can I make a suggestion or give feedback on the library’s local history materials and services?