Part-Time Adult Services Librarian
Job Vacancy: Part Time Adult Services Librarian
Please note that the Watertown Free Public Library is currently open for browsing and limited in-person services. Some details of this job posting and job description may be temporarily adjusted because of current safety measures that are in place. For more information about WFPL’s covid operations visit: www.watertownlib.org/coronavirus
The Watertown Free Public Library is looking for a part time Adult Services Librarian. Our busy mid-sized library serves a diverse population of people with a broad catalog of needs. In one day visitors might ask for the telephone number of the CEO of a national company, directions to a local concert, help requesting scholarly books for a term paper, the 1852 address of their great great grandfather William, computer troubleshooting, how to learn English at the library, lessons on downloading ebooks, where they can 3D print, recommendations for the best current mystery, and how to get to the restroom. In addition to answering those questions our librarians plan and host programs, purchase new materials, maintain our collections, make recommendations to improve services, learn how to use new technology and keep updated on library trends.
This job might be for you if:
- You are energized by interacting with new people and you love to help.
- You think on your feet to give each person the type of service that is best for them. You provide equitable service.
- You love making new connections whether it be with individuals or organizations.
- You are a professional risk-taker. You’re comfortable trying new ideas. You find the status-quo uninspired.
- You are curious and thoroughly informed. You ask questions and remember the answers. You have a breadth of knowledge that is useful in librarianship.
- You are independent. You take responsibility for your professional development and hold yourself accountable.
- You have experience with collection and program development.
- You believe in the mission of libraries and you want a job in public service.
You will be considered for this job if you are you are a librarian with an MLS and you have strong customer service experience. Your experience can be in a library, a bookstore, a restaurant, etc., but you must be able to demonstrate experience providing solid, people-focused service.
We welcome new graduates and seasoned librarians. Those who are bilingual/multilingual librarians or from an immigrant background are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a part time (24 hours) union position. Benefits include healthcare, retirement, paid holidays, and generous sick and vacation time. The work schedule includes one night a week and a Saturday rotation. The hourly rate is $29.28.
To apply please email cover letter, resume, and list of three references in one PDF file to Caitlin Browne, Assistant Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applicants will begin Tuesday, January 19.