Digital Services Librarian
The Watertown Free Public Library is looking for a full time Digital Services Librarian. Our busy mid-sized library serves a diverse population with a broad catalog of needs which include robust digital collections and skilled technology instruction. The digital services librarian will develop and maintain the library’s digital collections such as Overdrive, RB Digital, Hoopla, and Kanopy, develop and promote digital local history content, keep tablets and e-readers up-to-date with the latest in-demand titles, and recommend databases for purchase or discontinuation. This position is also responsible for providing reference services with a particular focus on user instruction on multiple technologies and platforms. The Digital Librarian will stay informed of innovations in the use of technology in library settings and recommend, plan, and implement those that are appropriate
This job might be for you if:
- You find organization and creating systems satisfying. Finding ways to make organized content discoverable intrigues you.
- You are a professional risk-taker. You’re comfortable trying new ideas. You want to succeed but aren’t afraid to fail. You find the status-quo uninspired.
- You like technology. You use technology in your personal life and you’re excited to play with new devices and learn new software. You know how to explain technology to other people in a way that they understand. You know how to learn new technology and aren’t afraid of it.
- You are curious and thoroughly informed. You ask questions and remember the answers. You use all of the information you have to make good decisions. You have a breadth of knowledge that is useful in librarianship.
- You can decode communication styles easily to provide tailored user instruction for the many different technology skill levels of our patrons
- You thrive in a collaborative environment. You can see your role as part of a larger organization. You are committed to excellence for the benefit of yourself and the people you work with.
- You are independent. You take responsibility for your professional development and hold yourself accountable.
- You like people and you get satisfaction from helping them. You understand that different people have different needs and you can think on your feet to give each person the type of service that is best for them.
- You believe in the mission of libraries. You want a job in public service.
To land this job you have to be a librarian with an MLS and experience working with digital media and web Content Management Systems. Working knowledge of Sierra ILS is a plus. View full job description here.
We welcome new graduates and seasoned librarians; it’s not necessary that you’ve worked in a public library before as long as you believe in and want to be a part of the important work that public libraries do.
This is a full time (37 hours) union position. Benefits include healthcare, retirement, paid holidays, and generous sick and vacation time. The work schedule includes some nights and a weekend rotation. Starting annual salary is $55,433.63.
Please send cover letter, resume, and list of three references in one PDF file to Caitlin Browne, Assistant Director, at email@example.com. Position is open until filled.