Library Jr Custodian
WATERTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
JUNIOR BUILDING CUSTODIAN
The Watertown Free Public Library seeks a Junior Custodian to help maintain our busy, mid-sized library that sees over 32,000 patrons each month.
Performs work at the Library under the direction of the Library Director and Director of Public Buildings.
Maintains, cleans, and keeps orderly and sanitary the interior and exterior of the building and its surrounding property and grounds. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performing custodial tasks such as dusting, washing glass and other surfaces, mopping, vacuuming, stripping and waxing floors, shampooing carpets, and other general cleaning tasks through the entire building and its exterior.
- Stocks restrooms and other areas as needed with supplies.
- Responsible for removal of building rubbish, snow removal, and sidewalk clearing.
- Required to perform building repairs, light maintenance (e.g. changing light bulbs), and preventative maintenance on buildings or its systems/equipment (e.g changing filters), furniture, and equipment as needed.
- Responsible for open/closing building and setting alarms to ensure building is secured.
- Moves furniture and supplies as needed
- Promptly reports any property damage or malfunction of systems (HVAC, lighting, plumbing) to the Directors by using the procedures established and computer work order system.
- Must respond quickly to any facility emergencies, sanitary needs, or Directors requirements.
- Distributes mail, makes deliveries and picks up books from book drop periodically.
- Set up/break down meeting rooms based on room schedule
- Attends training and administrative meetings as necessary.
- Communicates with the Directors or designated representative through meetings, emails, the computer work order system, and phone/text daily.
- Candidates will perform other duties as designated by the Directors.
- Supports the needs of other Town buildings as required and seeks to volunteer at all town buildings to provide coverage for employees as needed.
Works cooperatively with guest and staff to protect the Library property and assets and ensure general safety. Has a good understanding of the value of good maintenance practices and customer service.
All work must be done with pride and in a professional manner at all times. Must be able to problem solve, work independently, and work cooperatively as a team member. High School diploma or GED and custodial experience required. Must have a valid D-class driver’s license and the ability to use email and work order system (on a computer) and follow verbal and written instructions. Maximum lifting requirement is 45 pounds.
Local SEUI Union position with medical insurance and vacation, personal, and sick leave benefits
Full time – 40hrs a week
Salary - $22.83-$28.08 an hour
Shift time: Tue–Friday 1:30pm – 10:00pm and Saturdays 8:30am – 5:30pm
Interested applicants should send a resume, cover letter, and list of three references to Lori Kabel, Director of Public Buildings, at Lori.Kabel@watertown.k12.ma.us. Position is open until filled.