Part Time Archivist
The Watertown Free Public Library is a busy, mid-sized library serving over 36,000 patrons a month. Nestled in the oldest part of our renovated building is the Local History Room, home to thousands of volumes of Watertown history. This collection contains books by local authors, genealogies, town records, histories, and various primary sources and ephemera.
We are in search of a part-time archivist who will, under the supervision of the Supervisor of Adult Services, continue to organize, preserve, and make this historical library collection discoverable today and in the future.
- Accession, arrange, describe, classify or reclassify, and house or re-house manuscript collections, photographs, maps, documents, and other material
- Create comprehensive cataloging information – either directly in our ILS (Sierra) or on cataloging workforms.
- Implement basic preservation and conservation methods according to current standards
- Make long term recommendations for preservation, conservation, and access
- Recommend historical material for promotional attention via library website, digital displays, or blog
- Identify materials which need to be deaccessioned for content or condition
- Other duties as assigned
This job is for you if:
- You love history, especially local history. Bonus points if you’ve worked with a local history collection in a public library.
- You are independently motivated
- You are organized and efficient
- You are good at “connecting the dots”—you pay attention to the details and put ideas together
- You find problem solving rewarding
- You want to work part time hours
To be considered for this job you must have:
- MLS/MLIS with an educational concentration in archives or experience working independently or as a team leader in archives.
- 1 year experience using proper archival preservation practices, current archival descriptive practices and standards
- 1 year experience cataloging and classifying historical collections or archives
- Strong written and oral communication skills
This part time, temporary (50 weeks) position is 15 hours a week with flexible scheduling. The hourly rate is $28.00 and does not include benefits. The successful candidate can begin work in July.
To apply for the position please email cover letter, resume, and list of 3 references as one PDF to Caitlin Browne, Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled with preference to applicants who submit completed materials by Sunday, June 23.