Get a Library Card
Ways to Apply
Apply in person in the library, or apply online.
Before creating a new patron record, the individual must obtain the following:
- Current, valid Massachusetts Driver’s license or Massachusetts State Identification Card with current address.
- One document from Section 1 AND one document from Section 2 below.
Section 1. Proof of identification –current or expired (i.e. driver's license, passport, school ID)
- Alien Resident Card
- Government issued cards, such as Military ID
- State issued photo ID including welfare, Medicaid or FID card
- University or school ID
Section 2. Proof of current local address* (must include applicant’s name)
- Utility bill or tax bill (dated within the last 60 days), an eBill can also be accepted
- Imprinted bank check or deposit slip
- Official school schedule with applicant’s name and address typed on it
- Official letter verifying residency and mailing address dated within last 30 days from a social service provider, temporary employer that provides housing, or a short-term residence
- Postcard mailed to applicant from the library
No longer acceptable as proof of current address: lease agreements, rent receipts, and personal letters.
*a Post Office Box or business address is not sufficient – a current residential address is required.
Children & Teen Applicants
If applicant is under 13 years old, parent or legal guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A child must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get them a library card.
If applicant is between the ages of 13 and 17 and cannot meet the ID and address requirements, parent or guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A teen must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get them a library card.
Reporting a Lost Card
You can report a lost card by phone or in person. Until a card is reported lost, the cardholder is responsible for all materials checked out to the card, including any items that have been claimed to have been returned.