Watertown Free Public Library welcomes and serves all people.
Our building is fully accessible from both the front and back entrances, and an elevator provides access to our second floor.
We have a sizeable collection of large-type books, books on CD, music CDs, and films in American Sign Language (ASL).
The library also has special equipment designed to assist the hearing and visually impaired:
To Assist the Hearing-impaired
- TTY/TDD (text telephone) - 617.600.1154
- Sonic Ear (amplifies sound for the listener) - available at the Reference Desk
- The Watertown Savings Bank Room is equipped with a hearing assist loop system that is compatible with most hearing aid systems. To use, turn your hearing device to the ‘T’ setting. Hand-held amplifiers are available to check out at the Circulation Desk. They must be returned after use. Our thanks to the Watertown Commission on Disability.
To Assist those with Low Vision
- Hand-held magnifiers - available at the Reference Desk
- Portable Optelec - available at the Reference Desk
- Stationary Optelec Clearview + - available in the public computer area of the 2nd floor.
- 2 computers equipped with large keyboards and large, high-definition monitors
- Zoom-Text magnification and reading software.
- Jaws software on all public computers provides speech technology for blind patrons to access software applications and the Internet (courtesy of the Watertown Commission on Disability).
- Kurzweil 1000 software on one workstation. Printed material can be scanned and read aloud with a variety of natural-sounding voices.
Delivery Service for the Homebound
- The Watertown Free Public Library’s Special Delivery Homebound Service provides library materials to residents who live within Watertown and cannot come to the library. This service is provided free of charge. To apply for this service, fill out this form.