Some people claim to have no use for their public library, while others use it multiple times per week. The public library has become so much more than a repository for books, and it’s sometimes hard to get the word out about all of the wonderful things you can do with your library card! We thought it would be fun to offer a countdown of just a few of the wonderful things you can do at the Watertown Free Public Library!
If you’re a Watertown patron, you can…
10. Go to a museum: The WFPL offers museum passes for 19 inspiring institutions throughout Massachusetts. Visit http://www.watertownlib.org/museumpasses for a list of museums or to reserve your museum passes for the upcoming holidays.
9. Stream a movie: Using our new Hoopla app, you can stream movies for free. No waiting periods, no hold-ups, just movies (and music and audiobooks) when you want them.
8. Use a laptop: That’s right, we have plenty of laptops available for checkout at the circulation desk. All you need to do is present your library card and a picture ID, and you can borrow a laptop for use throughout our (WIFI enabled) building.
7. Take a Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, or iPad home with you: We offer an assortment of circulating ereaders in the Adult, Teen, and Children’s Departments, all pre-loaded with age-appropriate content. Borrowing an ereader or tablet is a great way to take a small library with you on your travels, or to explore the different models in anticipation of a purchase.
6. Take a class – online or in person: The WFPL offers a regular rotation of Computer classes, as well as occasional crafting opportunities. Please check with the Reference Desk to get a listing of what’s coming up. For a broader assortment of class offerings, be sure to check out Universal Class, which boasts over 500 classes, ranging from Algebra to Yoga! Classes start any time you’re ready, so dive right in! Point your browser here http://www.mln.lib.ma.us/electronic/wat1.htm and select Universal Class to get started.
5. Read a digital magazine on the go: With our exciting Zinio app, there’s no need to wait for checked out magazines to come back to the library! Sign up for Zinio, and you can download the magazines you want from the comfort of your own home.
Point your browser here http://www.mln.lib.ma.us/electronic/wat1.htm and select Zinio to get started.
4. Use a computer: We’ve got 24 public computers in the Adult Department, 9 in Children’s, and 8 in the Teen Department. All have access to our printing system. So if you need internet access or to write a paper, come to the library!
3. Scan documents, book pages, photographs, and more: Our advanced BookScan station can scan any of these items to a flash drive, direct to email, or to our printer. It’s fast and produces high-quality scans. Best of all? It’s free! (standard 10 cent per page printing charges will apply for printing.)
2. Check out books and DVDs and audiobooks and video games and magazines and music CDs and more! Of course, like any good public library, we offer a wealth of materials in a multitude of formats to suit your every need! Don’t forget that we have large print and foreign language materials, too!
1. Learn, question, connect, and become inspired: Perhaps most important of all, the WFPL boasts a team of people dedicated to helping you access whatever information or media you may need. We’re here to serve: if there’s any way we can be of greater service, please let us know.
See you at the library!