Getting a work of fiction published is a difficult task; maybe even more difficult is finding readers for it. First-time authors have an uphill battle to get their books read when bestseller lists are populated by authors who are practically pumping out a book a month.
I love hearing how people discover new authors. Some popular ways include in magazines, on television and from friends. One of my favorites comes from my sister who picks books based on what people are reading on the subway. Every month I read hundreds of book reviews and I always try to pay special attention to first-time authors so that I can pass them on to patrons.
If you are looking for promising new authors that you may have missed, take a look at a few of the ones that stood out for me this year.
- Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.
- You Are One of Them by Elliott Holt.
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.
- A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra.
- The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver.
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman.
- The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell.
- Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin.
- The Third Son by Julie Wu.
Written by Reference Librarian Aimee.